Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 12:44:36 -0800
From:      grady@xcf.berkeley.edu (Steven Grady)
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions about developing an mpeg3 database and interface

About 5 months ago I posted a question to this list about an mpeg3
database format.  Today I discovered ID3V2, which supports everything
I could possibly want, and a lot more.  It resides in the mp3 file, not
in a separate db (which is good and bad).  The set of predefined tags
totally kicks ass.  I just thought I'd mention it to people here.  I'm
hoping that some of the more powerful mp3 players, such as Xaudio,
will support it soon.  Theoretically, it should be compatible with
existing players, since it uses a frame tag which should cause
non-compliant players to just skip over the frame.

The ID3V2 page is at www.id3.org (with a US mirror at
http://www.hatman.com/id3v2/).

>From the intro:
    ID3v2 is a new tagging system that lets you put enriching and relevant
    information about your audio files within them. In more down to earth
    terms, ID3v2 is a chunk of data prepended to the binary audio data.
    Each ID3v2 tag holds one or more smaller chunks of information, called
    frames.  These frames can contain any kind of information and data you
    could think of such as title, album, performer, website, lyrics,
    equalizer presets, pictures etc.

BTW, I've also switched from using 8hz-mp3 to using BladeEnc (find it
at http://home8.swipnet.se/~w-82625/).  It's a bit faster, and I
seem to recall that there were legal problems with 8hz-mp3?  Also,
8hz-mp3 left an annoying audio artifact at the beginning of most of
the tracks, and BladeEnc does not do so.  Oh, and BladeEnc supports
rates higher than 128k/s, in case you're interested (I'm not).

	Steven