Date:      Sun, 08 Aug 1999 02:16:24 -0700
From:      charon@freethought.org
To:        "BJ How" <bj-how@mediaone.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Definition of FreeBSD

At 03:57 AM 8/8/99 -0700, BJ How wrote:
>Howdy,
>By accident I stumbled across your website when on Yahoo I typed in a
search for a program to play VCDs called >Power VCD.  For whatever reason
it pulled your sight up in the list.  I followed the link and was caught by
the >terms UNIX and LINUX.  I've been interested in playing with UNIX for a
little while and have finally gotten to a >point where I have an extra PC
(P90 with 48 megs and a twitchy monitor) and wanted to get a little more
serious >about getting LINUX loaded.  So I continued to read on, if I don't
go with LINUX I will probably go with FreeBSD.  >There's only one thing
which irritated me about your site.  Nowhere can I find BSD broken down.
If this is truly >an acronym what the heck is it (please don't say its
nothing, found this out the hardway with VAX, searched all >over until I
found one book which was actually kind enough to state 'if your looking for
what the acronym stands >for, don't, one doesn't exist').

>Anyways, if you could provide me with what the acronym stands for and what
it means it would be appreciated (been >programming for close to 15 years
and the biggest thing I hate is all the acronyms (I know, picked the wrong
>business!)).
>
>Thanks for any info you can provide.

"BSD" stands for Berkeley Software Distribution, because originally BSD
UNIX was developed at UC Berkeley (this is actually in the FAQ,
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ245.html).

A couple years ago when I started getting interested in other OS's (i.e.
something other than Microsoft), I looked into Linux because it was the
only free UNIX I'd heard of.  I got confused by the whole multiple
distributions thing, and a friend recommended FreeBSD - I've never looked
back since  :)

(BTW, you should send your email formatted in plain text - I know this is
hard to do with Microsoft Outlook Express, but many UNIX mail readers can't
read text in strange formats.)

Best of luck with whatever you choose!

-Charon