Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 2010 15:20:15 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <gcooper@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: letting glabel recognise a media change

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 9/30/2010 2:34 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

>>> Please read this first: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Halsectomy :)
>>
>> Right, especially the bits about moving the functionality into the kernel.
>
> Sorry, I'm being too terse. What I'm saying is that we have an existing
> "notifications" model that third party apps already know how to deal with.
> If we're considering developing a notifications model of our own then we are
> well served by looking at the work that has gone before (without violating
> copyright issues, yadda yadda).

    The problem is that the current system proposed for Device Kit is
based on file system notification. I know we can do this with kqueues
to some degree, but we do some of our best work via sysctls, and using
other methods of attack, so it would be nice if these were
`abstracted' out into generic events with OS specific callback
handlers.
    Anyhow, just something to toss around, but honestly apart from the
disc tasting I see via hald whenever I insert a CD or DVD, I could
really care less about that functionality, and it could be just as
easily implemented via some other mechanism, similar to what we
already have in devd, or something more kernel centric like others
have suggested before with geom.
Thanks!
-Garrett