Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 03:05:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some questions about FreeBSD

I've been away from FreeBSD for a looong time (2.0.5 was the last version
I worked with), but now I'm starting to regain interest.  Someone gave me
a 2.2.1 CD-ROM a few weeks ago, and just the other day, I picked up a
2.2.2 CD-ROM at a computer show.

My goal is to junk what I am currently running (Linux) and run FreeBSD
instead.  But I have some questions and some concerns.  Hopefully the
wonderful people on this list can help me out by answering these.

1.  One of the reasons why I have been running Linux is the fact that its
    PCMCIA support is much better, and in fact, Linux actually had PCMCIA
    support when FreeBSD did not.  (One of the machines on my homebrew
    network is a laptop.)  But I notice that FreeBSD's PCMCIA support
    seems to be improving.  How good is the support in 2.2.2?

2.  All of my other machines have fairly standard (i.e. fully supported)
    install media (CD-ROMs), except my Laptop.  My laptop does have a SCSI
    CD-ROM (NEC 8x, uncertain of the model number), but my laptop doesn't
    have a built-in SCSI adapter.  Yep -- you guessed it -- the SCSI
    adapter is a PCMCIA.  I was looking at my older (2.2.1) CD-ROM and
    noticed the "boot-pao.flp" floppy image, which apparently allows you
    to install FreeBSD using PCMCIA media (ATAPI CD-ROMs, SCSI, etc.)  But
    when I went to look for this on the 2.2.2 CD-ROM -- it wasn't there!
    All I found was the standard "boot.flp"  is this capability no longer
    available, or is it built in to boot.flp?  OR is it a separate package
    that I need to get somewhere else (if so, where?)

3.  I'm not sure if my PCMCIA SCSI adapter is even supported.  It is a New
    Media Toast'n'Jam (a combo SCSI/sound card), I believe it uses the
    "aha1520" (aic-something-or-other) driver.  Can this controller be
    used with FreeBSD's PCMCIA support?

4.  I also have a PCMCIA network adapter -- an IBM Home and Away.  (This
    is a combo 10BaseT ethernet + 14.4 modem card -- I don't care about
    the 14.4 modem, because I have a USRobotics Sportster external).  Is
    this card supported by the PCMCIA package, and if I need to, can I use
    it to do a network install (I can mount my FreeBSD CD-ROM on one of my
    desktop machines, after all).

5.  Last question: I have been running Linux because of its "IP
    Masquerading" feature -- which allows a private (i.e. unlicensed)
    home network to share a single dial-up IP connection.  Since we have
    only one phone line in the house, and sometimes two or three of us
    (yes, I have roomies) have to use the Internet at once to get e-mail,
    etc., we set up IP masquerading so that this is feasible.  Now I hear
    that FreeBSD's usermode PPP (iijppp) supports an "-alias" flag that
    does something similar.  Is anyone actually using this?  How well does
    it work, and how does it compare to Linux's IP masquerading
    implementation?

I would be most appreciative if someone could help me out by
answering some (or all) of these questions in an E-mail to me.  Thank you
in advance for your assistance!

Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> - Ask me for my PGP key | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 564-1871    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.