Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:15:30 -0500
From:      Paul Bickford <bickford.paul@jimmy.harvard.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boot error - 3Com 3C509-TPO Etherlink 3

Hey there. I'm trying to do a fresh install of 5.3, but can't get past
this error:

   ep0: <3Com 3C509-TPO EtherLink III> at port 0x300-0x30f irq10 on isa0
   ep0: No irq?!
   ep0: ep_alloc() failed! (6)
   panic: resource_list_release: resource entry is not busy
   Uptime: 1s
   Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

I had no problem with this model of NIC under 5.1, but I can't seem to
get going with 5.3. I've swapped cards, swapped machines, swapped
installation methods (floppy-vs-CD), and I always get the same error.

Had I the choice, I'd just try a different model card, but that's not
an option for me (the machine I'm installing it on doesn't have PCI
slots, and I have gobs of these NICs at my disposal).

Any idea what happened between 5.1 and 5.3 to break this card? How can
I get past this error?

Thanks!

Paul.