Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2011 19:59:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Simple command to reset / clear all logs?

> Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 18:31:21 -0600
> Subject: Re: Simple command to reset / clear all logs?
> To: questions@freebsd.org
>
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Robert Bonomi
> <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>wrote:
>
> > > From: Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
> > >
> > > Please don't top post.
> > >
> > > do something like this:
> > >
> > > shutdown now rm /var/log/* exit
> > >
> > > upon reentering multiuser mode, each logging service will create it's
> > > new file.
> >
> > FALSE TO FACT, with regard to any/all files that syslogd(8) uses,
> > _unless_ syslogd is invoked with the '-C' option.
> >
> > Quoting from the manpage:
> >    "For security reasons, syslogd will not append to log files that do
> >     not exist (unless -C option is specified); therefore, they must be
> >     created manually before running syslogd."
> >

> Wrong, read what I said again.

I *did* read what you said.

To be blunt, you are full of sh*t as regards any file used by the standard
Berkeley syslog daemon, (syslogd).  The Berkeley syslogd is the standard
system log daemon on FreeBSD, although somme people do replace it with

>                                 The appropriate service recreates the log
> file.

_IF_ a service, e.g, apache logs _directly_ to it's own logfiles, this _may_
be true  It is explicitly *NOT*TRUE* for log files used by the standard
(Berkeley-based) syslogd daemon.  The FreeBSD manpage for syslogd, quoted
above, confirms that you do -not- know what you're talking about.

>        Any basic system log would be covered by this.

"Male Bovine Excretement" applies.

>                                                        Try it and see.

I've got over 25 years experience as a professional system/network admin,
all on BSD-derived systems. I can't tell you _how_many_ times I've been
called in to fix a 'failure to log' problem that was due to the logfile
simply -not- being present, even afer a reboot.

Now I'm not infallable, so I cheked the reference documentation _before_
posting,  The standard FreeBSD syslogd is -documented- as _NOT_CREATING_
the logfiles it uses, *UNLESS* the '-C' option is specified upon program
invocation.

Since a logging service cannot tell whether the system is in single-user
or multi-user mode, you can verify this syslogd behaviour by simply deleting
one of the common log files -- say /var/log/messages -- then killing the
running syslogd, and re-starting it.  As you say "Try it and see".

--
Those of you who think you know it all are very annoying to those of us
who do.