Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 1995 11:19:47 +0100 (BST)
From:      Nik Clayton <Nik.Clayton@brunel.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-faq@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   TIP and Hayes modems (Question 9.9)

How do,

I've just been experimenting with 'tip' on FreeBSD 2.0.5 950622-SNAP,
and bumped into the following:

In the FAQ (/usr/share/FAQ/Text/FreeBSD.FAQ) question 9.9,

    9.9: My stock Hayes modem isn't supported---what should I do?

    Actually, the man page for tip is out of date.  There is a generic
Ha    yes dialer already built in.  Just use ``at=hayes'' in your
/etc    /remote file.

The answer is almost right. 'tip' (as configured) doesn't understand
this as far as I can tell. If you try this tip displays an error message
complaining that it doesn't know about 'hayes'.

The solution is to edit the file /usr/src/usr.bin/tip/tip/tipconf.h.
Obviously you need the source distribution to do this.

Edit the line "#define HAYES 0" to "#define HAYES 1". Then "make" and
"make install". Everything works nicely after that.

I hope this information proves useful to someone else.

=-[Opinion, n: See the above text for an example]=-=[Kibo #: e]-[RYRYRY]=-=
=-[The Silly Sod Society: To perfect and to swerve]=-[beable]-=[TP U BG]=-=
Flappity, floppity, flip
The mouse on the Mobius strip;
        The strip revolved,
        The mouse dissolved