Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2013 15:17:02 -0700
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: svn error during 'make buildkernel'?

On Sat, Aug 03, 2013 at 05:43:13PM -0400, Glen Barber wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 03, 2013 at 02:30:23PM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:

> > > src/sys/conf/newvers.sh sets the svn revision, which is printed by
> > > uname(1).
> > >
> > > devel/subversion is at version 1.8.x, so you should upgrade your
> > > installed port.  Or you can use /usr/bin/svnlite directly, and run:
> > >
> > >     # /usr/bin/svnlite upgrade /usr/src
> > >

> > Thanks.
> >
> > Looks like an entry in /usr/src/UPDATING is missing if
> > /usr/bin/svn* is forcing an obsolscence of a functioning
> > installed port.
> >

> The port was at 1.8.x before I added the additional lookup of
> svnlite to the script.

My installed port was at 1.7.9.  I can't find anywhere that
states that one must immediately upgrade to a new version
when a port's maintainer updates it.  I've banged my head
against the ports collection dependency idiocy too often
to chase after every update.

> There really is no need for UPDATING entry, since 1.7.9 is
> deprecated, and the behavior you have seen is not a fatal
> error with the buildkernel process.

Installing a freshly built kernel when an ERROR message appears
within the last 10 lines of 'make buildkernel' seems like a
rather dumb thing do.

> BTW, you should upgrade devel/subversion anyway, since there are
> security vulnerabilities.

1.7.9 works/worked fine for updating my /usr/src and my personal
svn repository.  The change to use svnlite in newvers.sh should
have an entry in UPDATING to alert users that have a too old
svn port that they need to upgrade.  I go as far to suggest that
that the script should look for svn in the path before it looks
for svnlite.

--
Steve