Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:08:55 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Daniel Bye <Daniel.Bye@uk.uu.net>
Cc:        "'Cliff Sarginson'" <cliff@raggedclown.net>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Root and the C Shell

Daniel Bye wrote:

> I don't like csh either, and have never come to grief using
> bash as my root shell (under FreeBSD.  Linux (RH of some kind)
> was not so forgiving...)  I don't think there is anything that
> requires root's shell to be a specific one (except dogma, aka
> tradition).

	You left out of your list the wisdom and experience of people who have
spent years administering unix machines in a variety of environments and
situations. The fact that you, in your limited experience have never had
any problems waving a loaded gun at your foot doesn't mean that it's
safe to do it. I don't mean to sound like a hardass here, but I'm sick
and tired of this, "_I_ do it, so it MUST be ok." line of (alleged)
reasoning.

	You are free to do whatever you want to do on your boxes, and I'm not
going to argue that point with you. If all you're running is a desktop
workstation that you can reach over and restart at the touch of a
switch, you probably never will run into a problem with a shell for root
on some other partition. However, it's clear that the BEST course of
action that covers more situations more appropriately is to make your
root shell one of the staticly linked shells that is built with the
system.

Doug
--
    So what I want to know is, where does the RED brick road go?