Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 1997 21:24:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Kingson Gunawan <kingson@excite.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: memory out of range???

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Kingson Gunawan wrote:

> I have the following setup/config:
> Tyan m/b Tahoe series Dual P-II/266 with 1GB memory (yes, 1024MB of
> RAM).
> DPT smartraid-4 (UW), Adaptec 2940UW
> Matshita CD-ROM (SCSI)
> 8 IBM UW SCSI 4.1GB drives (7 configured as raid attached to DPT, the
> rest attached to the Adaptec).
>
> I made the boot floppy from the image in the
> current.freebsd.org:/pub/3.0-971101-SNAP/floppies.
> I know this boot floppy will not recognize the DPT controller.  However,
> the boot floppy crashed with:
> 	"bounced memory: out of range" (or something like that)
> right after the install config screen.
>
> Any idea?

  Hopefully, this is the archive, but it probably isn't up to date yet...

  Bounce buffers (for ISA devices that require DMA: aha, and some
ethernets) don't work on large memory configurations.  Simple solution is
to make a boot floppy without bounce buffers, because chances are no one
is going to be using old ISA junk on such systems.  Long term solution is
to fix bounce buffers.

Tom