Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 20:35:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, Brian Adkins <brian@lojic.com>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Subject:   Re: RC5-64 Contest

On 23-Mar-99 Chris Dillon wrote:
> On 22 Mar 1999, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
>
>> Brian Adkins <brian@lojic.com> writes:
>> > Hey, the distributed.net people got the stats back up today and Team
>> > FreeBSD rose 3 to rank 32 and NetBSD Users dropped 1 to rank 28 on the
>> > daily stats!
>>
>> Perhaps whoever "owns" freebsd@distributed.net should have that user
>> join Team FreeBSD - then contributing to that team would be as simple
>> as "make install clean" in /usr/ports/misc/rc5des.
>
> Err, I'm coming into this a bit late, but if someone has an easy way
> to create a bootable floppy with the fxp and ed NIC drivers, a dhcp
> client (optional, but highly preferred), and the rc5des client, I have
> about 40 PII-266's and 30 P133s I could run it on for about 15 hours a
> day, and 48 hours on weekends.  Think that would bring Team FreeBSD up
> a notch or two? :-)
>
> I could also just fudge and run a Win95 version of the client in the
> background all day on even more workstations than that (the users
> wouldn't be any wiser, so long as it only worked during idle time).

First, statically compile rc5des.  Then create a custom PicoBSD, and have it
copy the rc5des program onto the floppy image while it is building the MFS
tree. I used a similar trick to get a static dhcp client on a 3.0-CURRENT
PicoBSD in January.

> -- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
> /* FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
>    For Intel x86 and compatibles (SPARC and Alpha under development)
>    ( http://www.freebsd.org )                                       */

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/
PGP Key: http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/pgpkey.asc