Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 17:50:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, hoek@hwcn.org, softweyr@xmission.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

> John S. Dyson wrote:
> >
> > The good thing about school vouchers is that even alot of families in poverty
> > care about their kids.  They can also vote with their voucher.  I would think
> > that the voucher would "enable" the poor folk, and not necessarily give
>
> 	i dont know....regarding the tax break for college tuition,
> 	i hear that college will raise prices by the amount of the
> 	tax break.  if that is true, wouldnt private schools raise
> 	tuition by the amount of the voucher?

Maybe, maybe not -- however it would bring the spectre of competition into
the public school arena.  Again, I really do believe that there are alot of
poor people who are "middle class" but unfortunate.  There is a prevailing liberal
attitude that poor people don't/can't care about themselves, and I have found that
the opposite is true.  Sure, there are alot of people who don't care about themselves,
or their families, and it is doubly bad when they are poor also.  (I would not
know how to live, making $15K-$25K/year with a kid or two, but those working poor do
get by.)  They cannot be dumb...

Actually, the biggest thing that the vouchers will do is to shake-up the school
admins, and that is good.  Why do you think that so many resist the school voucher
idea?  Imagine a sloppy school that is at risk of closing, and the principal is
"at risk."  Risk is an amazing motivator (sp?).  I don't think that a career
of an administrator is nearly as important as the quality of care and education
that children get.  These school admins make a reasonable amount of money compared
to their teacher peers, and with that additional income, comes responsibility.

We get paid for responsibility and innovation, and I think that a manager of a
school should have appropriate feedback mechanisms also.  Along with the feedback
mechanisms, the management of a school needs to be "enabled" and "empowered" (in
the truest sense of the words.)

John