Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 1999 11:27:49 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Campbell <bc@thehub.com.au>
To:        Cain <cain@tasam.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shell Account system

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Cain wrote:

> In addition to tripwire, monitor the existence of all SUID programs, when
> new ones appear make sure you know about it. BTW, ircd is usually SUID, so
> if a user of yours sets that up it's normal. But then how do you know a
> hacker just hasn't named his root shell ircd... so monitor the sizes of
> new SUID programs

Possibly putting my foot in my mouth here, but *why* would ircd need to be
SUID to anyone?  It commonly runs at the high ports (6667) and thus does
not need root for that.

If you want a specific ircd user to run ircd (either by script or by
respawning from init), I don't see a need for the ircd binary to be SUID
to anyone (executable only be that user yes, SUID no)

Or am I missing something here?

--==--
Bruce.