Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 18:54:37 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Joachim.Wunder@lrz-muenchen.de, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.7 -> 2.2.1 Upgrade - How?

At 09:44 PM 4/24/97 GMT, Joachim Wunder wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Since I am soon going to upgrade my 2.1.7 system to 2.2.1:
>Could someone please point me in the right directions so that I won't crash
>anything in stupidness? =)

As written by Doug White (dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu (Doug White)...
------------

FreeBSD Upgrade Checklist for 2.2:

1)  Boot the new floppy.  Select the 'update' option.  Follow the prompts.
Make sure you MOUNT your filesystems and not NEWFS them.  Select the same
distributions you did originally (including the kernel source, src/ssys!)
and any you wish to add.

2)  Hit 'commit' to start the upgrade.

3)  When you're dumped to a shell prompt:

        . Your /etc directory is preserved as it was for 2.1.x.  You will
          want to look in /etc/upgrade, which contains new & updated files
          for this release.

        . Using your old sysconfig as a guide, create a new sysconfig using
          the one in /etc/upgrade as a template.

        . Copy over the rc* files from upgrade/, so new features in
          sysconfig are used.  Merge in any local changes, if necessary.
          If you are getting unusual messages from ipx, you forgot to do
          this.

        . Migrate other files as necessary.

5)  Reboot, recompile & reinstall your kernel, reboot again, and enjoy.
---------------------------

You should also check out
http://www.dejanews.com/forms/dnsetfilter.html

For the news groups, enter in
comp.unix.bsd.free*,muc.lists.freebsd*

For the terms, enter in 2.2* upgrade 2.1*

and you will get a slew of pointers....

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)           * To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
Sentex Communications Corp,              * To be is to do  -- Sartre
Cambridge, Ontario                       * Do be do be do  -- Sinatra
(http://www.sentex.net/~mdtancsa)        *