Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 2019 12:19:31 -0500
From:      Ryan Stone <rysto32@gmail.com>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, Hiroki Sato <hrs@allbsd.org>
Subject:   Re: arm64 as Tier 1 for FreeBSD 13

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 9:44 AM Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > New features which are not inherently platform-specific will be fully
> > functional on all Tier 1 architectures.
>
> This introduces some additional commitments on those developing new
> features, but in practice I believe we already generally expect new
> functionality to work on arm64.

For eBPF, Sato-san is working on a JIT compiler.  Depending on the how
it winds up being implemented, it may only support JIT'ing for amd64
(one possibility being floated is an LLVM-based implementation, in
which case arm64 support is a lot easier).  If arm64 has to use an
interpreter to run eBPF code rather than JIT'ing it, is that
acceptable for a tier-1 platform?