Date:      Sat, 04 Sep 1999 16:00:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Handling distfiles in multiple subdirs on master site: how?

I'm trying to make a new port and have run into something I don't
know how to do.  The master site has a funky system of cgi scripts (I
guess) that constructs tarballs of arbitrary subtrees on the fly.  I
need to get several distfiles from various subdirectories on the same
master site.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to do something like this
(just an example):

MASTER_SITES=   http://m3.polymtl.ca/m3htbin/download/m3/pkg/pm3-1.1.13/
DISTFILES=      libs/set.tgz \
                m3config.tgz \
                graphics/gr-libs/ui
DIST_SUBDIR=    pm3-1.1.13

But having subdirectories in the DISTFILES list isn't working.
Here's what happens when I have just "libs/set.tgz" in DISTFILES:

vashon# make
>> libs/set.tgz doesn't seem to exist on this system.
>> Attempting to fetch from http://m3.polymtl.ca/m3htbin/download/m3/pkg/pm3-1.1.13/.
Receiving set.tgz: 7 Kbytes
7546 bytes transferred in 1.1 seconds  (6.41 Kbytes/s)
===>  Extracting for pm3-set-1.1.13
cannot open pm3-1.1.13/libs/set.tgz: no such file
*** Error code 2

The fetching worked.  It put the tarball into
"/usr/ports/distfiles/pm3-1.1.13/set.tgz" which is acceptable even
though it omitted the "libs" subdirectory.  But then the extract step
looked for the tarball in the wrong place.

I've come up with one idea so far: set FETCH_CMD to reference a
shell script that will preserve the subdirectories when fetching the
distfiles (e.g., "/usr/ports/distfiles/pm3-1.1.13/libs/set.tgz" in the
example above).

Is there a better way to do what I want to do?

John
---
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron