Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 1999 08:45:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Adam Strohl <adams@digitalspark.net>
Cc:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Celeron + FreeBSD?

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Adam Strohl wrote:

> In the real world the 1/2 the cache at 2x the speed makes all of JACK
> in performance difference from the "real" PIIs.  It rocks.

I agree for the most part, on single-processor machines, though it's
actually a quarter the cache. The reduced, faster cache causes a single
celeron to be more memory-bandwidth sensitive. An SMP machine, however,
has two CPUs contending for the same bandwidth, and for some processes,
that can be fatal.

I've done make buildworld's on both my dual Celeron and my dual PPro (the
ones with 512K cache). The difference between single and dual celeron is
minimal, about 10%.  On the dual PPro machine, the speed improvement,
using the same disk subsystem, was 80%.  Yes, on processes that aren't
memory intensive, dual Celerons rock.  In fact, on most things, I see
closer to 40-50% improvement with dual Celerons, the make buildworld is
rather memory intensive.