Date:      02 Aug 2000 10:50:12 +0200
From:      sperber@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de (Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor])
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   The dreaded ed1 device timeout

I know it's been the subject of discussion a zillion times:

I have a D-Link DE-650 PCMCIA Ethernet card in an ASUS P6300.  It
works fine with 3.4PAO, and now I'd like to upgrade, installing over
the network.

4.1 recognizes the card and probes it as ed1 at IRQ 11 (and only at
that IRQ -- 5 and 10 won't do it).  However, irq 11 is also taken by
pcic0, and I get a device timeout.  (The archived mails I've found on
the subject recommend re-configuring pccardd on a *working system*.  I
don't have one yet.)

The working PAO installation, puts the card at IRQ 9.  Can I get
sysinstall from the official boot disks to pass -i 9 to pccardd or do
something else to remedy the problem?

Failing that, I could do a CD-ROM install and post-install-configure
pccardd.  How sure can I be things will work then?  I'd hate to lose
my working 3.4PAO installation only to find out 4.1 can't drive the
card.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike