Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 2008 20:44:01 -0400
From:      Steve Bertrand <steve@ibctech.ca>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if_vlan subinterfaces at boot

Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 08:27:47PM -0400, Steve Bertrand wrote:
>>> Is there any way to create, and assign addresses to a if_vlan
>>> sub-interface (eg: em6.3) via rc.conf at boot?
>> Sorry for the noise...
>>
>> cloned_interfaces="em6.3"
>> ifconfig_em6.3="inet x.x.x.x netmask x.x.x.x"
>>
>> ...seems to be the job.
>
> Almost.  '.' isn't a valid character in a shell variable.  We support '.' by
> converting it into _ in shell variables so it should be:
>
> cloned_interfaces="em6.3"
> ifconfig_em6_3="inet x.x.x.x netmask x.x.x.x"

Thanks Brooks for the feedback.

I was just about to do a reboot with my config before I caught your
message. I'll update the config and run with it.

While perusing the 'net in order to try to find a solution prior to
posting, I came across a couple of other posts (I can't remember if it
was specific to this list) in which the recommendation appeared to be
incorrect for this exact setup I desired (ie: the recommendation failed
miserably).

I'll post back with the results in case anyone else here has been
interested in 'Cisco style' (as I for some reason refer to them as)
sub-ints on FreeBSD.

Steve