Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 95 2:47:15 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, james@miller.cs.uwm.edu
Subject:   Re: Interval timer/System clock

> >Would it be resonable to propose a faster system clock than 10ms?  The
> >DEC hardware seems to run somewhere around 5ms which would give you an
> >accurate user level clock at 10ms.
>
> I used 200Hz for a long time with no problems (I don't run timed or
> xntpd).  I've used 10000Hz for testing.  I think there is little need
> for faster than 100Hz except for quasi-real-time stuff.  Terry's
> one-shot timers might work better for that.

The stuff that I usually propose has two purposes:

1)	gettimeofday/getitimer/setitimer/select, all of which are
	considered "Real Time Extensions" according to SVID III.

2)	Replacing DELAY in device drivers as part of enabling
	kernel multithreading, a necessary step in maximizing
	concurrency and aloowing kernel multithreading in an SMP
	environment.

The Kernel preeemption issue for the QIC-40/80 driver is that it
needs "at this time" rather than "at least after this time" for
correct operation without buz-looping: in other words, deadlining
(another Real Time issue).  This is desirable because of the
relatively long duration of the intervals where a buzz-loop is
currently used, in combination with the lack of a FIFO that exists
or that can be detected on most floppy controllers.  Up to 60%
of your system time (depending on how fast your box is) can be
wasted keeping correct timing for the driver (which is why we all
hate floppy tape drives).

What the previous poster wants is a faster system time update
frequency, which is actually only loosely coupled to the system
clock frequency.

On a relatively idle system, a SPARStation 1+ can keep interval
timers/select timeouts/time of day to about 4uS.  There's no
real hardware reason (if f you accept an HZ value of 64 or 128)
that PC hardware couldn't do the same.

It's all in the mailing list archive.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu