Date:      Wed, 9 Nov 2005 15:28:17 +0100
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Lars Thegler <lth@FreeBSD.org>, Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for comments: port-tags

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 11:54:13PM -0500, Parv wrote:
> in message <437062D6.6050001@FreeBSD.org>,
> wrote Lars Thegler thusly...
> >
> > Alex Dupre wrote:
> > >like it very much. One thing we can add to enhance the tag
> > >classification is to add an optional PORTTAGS variable where we can
> > >define additional tags (not present in CATEGORY and COMMENT) for the
> > >port, so that "Maildir" could be for example associated with
> > >mail/dovecot. This will require additional work for maintainers, but I
> > >think it'll highly improve the searches.
> >
> > I suspect most (if not all) tag addition could be done within COMMENT
> > itself. For people browsing the portstree through other means, say,
> > FreshPorts, improving COMMENT makes very good sense, IMHO.
>
> When i read COMMENT, i want to know the purpose of the port.
> Currently, in most cases i have to read pkg-descr to get a better
> understanding (as COMMENT is just filler).  (Yes, i know that only
> thing that can improve the current situation would be to file PRs to
> better define COMMENT.)
>
> If keywords start filling COMMENT,  i think purpose of COMMENT will
> fail.  Then again, rereading what i wrote in the above paragraph,
> COMMENT will server a fruitful purpose finally by containing
> keywords (albeit under a indirectly related variable name).

I will support a TAGS field;  what I cannot decide at this moment, is
whether to ignore COMMENT and pkg-descr (support for which I will add
shortly) when TAGS is present, or use TAGS as an additional tag source
only.

\Anton.
--
An undefined problem has an infinite number of solutions.
-- Robert A. Humphrey