Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2008 18:11:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Fritz Katz <frtzkatz@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: open("/dev/bktr0") failed: No such file or directory

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, Wilson Thankachan wrote:

> I recently installed PCBSD in my PC and am trying to configure fxtv. I
> have a Phillips TV tuner. These are the things that I did.
>
> 1) I did a make under /usr/ports/multimedia/fxtv/
> 2) added the following line in /boot/loader.conf
>
> bktr_load="YES"
>
> 3) rebooted the PC got the following message in demsg
> bktr_mem: memory holder loaded
>
> 4) when I run fxtv I get the follwing error
> open("/dev/bktr0") failed: No such file or directory
>
> What am i missing? Do i have to install the BKTR driver if so where
> can I get it. By the I dont see this device under /dev
>
> Thanks,
> Wilson
---------------

Hello Wilson,

  What kind of 'Philips TV tuner' do you have? Is it listed on
this page?:
     http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=bktr&sektion=4

  If it's a 'Philips SAA713x based card' and not a
  'BrookTree/Conexant BT8x8' then jump down to suggestion #3.
  Otherwise, here's some suggestions. Other folks on this
  list, please chime in on what works for you.

  1) Is the bktr driver being loaded?
     If so, then you should see lines similar to these in your dmesg:

	# dmesg
	(....)
	bktr_mem: memory holder loaded
	(....)
	bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xcffff000-0xcfffffff irq 16 at device 10.0 on pci1
	bktr0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
	bktr0: [ITHREAD]
	bktr0: Hauppauge Model 44801 D110
	bktr0: Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips NTSC tuner.

     Here's my loader.conf which works for me:
	# cat /boot/loader.conf
	nvidia_load="YES"
	snd_driver_load="YES"
	bktr_load="YES"
	iic_load="YES"

     You should see bktr.ko and bktr_mem.ko in this list:
	# kldstat
	Id Refs Address    Size     Name
	32    1 0xc0e49000 1258c    bktr.ko
	33    2 0xc0e5c000 2000     bktr_mem.ko

   2) Is the hardware even being being recognized?
      Perhaps the PCI tuner card is not seated in the slot,
        try moving to a different slot.
      Maybe the card is non-functional?
      pciconf is a diagnostic utility for the PCI bus:

	# pciconf -lcv
	bktr0@pci0:1:10:0: class=0x040000 card=0x13eb0070 chip=0x036e109e rev=0x11 hdr=0x00
	  vendor     = 'Conexant (Was: Brooktree Corp)'
	  device     = 'Bt878/Fusion 878A Mediastream Controller'
	  class      = multimedia
	  subclass   = video
	  cap 03[44] = VPD
	  cap 01[4c] = powerspec 2  supports D0 D3  current D0
	none3@pci0:1:10:1: class=0x048000 card=0x13eb0070 chip=0x0878109e rev=0x11 hdr=0x00
	  vendor     = 'Conexant (Was: Brooktree Corp)'
	  device     = '7610144D&REV_02\4&1F7DBC9F&0&09F0 TV Video Capture'
	  class      = multimedia
	  cap 03[44] = VPD
	  cap 01[4c] = powerspec 2  supports D0 D3  current D0

    3) add this port:
	 /usr/ports/multimedia/kbtv2
      'make config' and select
	 CORE, GUI, and for your TV card i.e. SAA, SAA_KMOD
      Then do a:
	# btsetup
	btsetup> help
	  help                              - Show this help text
	  show [cards|tuners|cameras|users] - Show config or list cards/tuners/cams/users
	  adduser <username|uid>            - Add user to operator group by login or UID
	  kldload <bktr|saa|pwc|snd>        - Load the bktr/saa/pwc/snd_driver module
	  sysctl <card|tuner> value         - Set the sysctl for bktr card/tuner to value
	  commit                            - Commit/write the config
	  quit                              - Quit btsetup
	btsetup> kldload saa
	btsetup> commit
	btsetup> quit

      btsetup does a  '# kldload saa.ko' as well as modifying
      the boot/loader.conf I think you may have to reboot.

Try running kbtv2. I think the interface is much nicer than fxtv.

I was able to get the S-Video-in and audio-in working on my SAA card.
But could only tune TV channels audio -- video was just a blue-screen
  (I suspect I need to set some 'sysctl' for the card but I'm
   clueless about where to go next with it).

If you want to watch TV on your FreeBSD system, you can still
find some old BT8x8 cards listed on eBay or Craigslist. If you
find one, snatch it up -- Brooktree stopped making them years
ago. Of course, you will only be able to watch TV for eight
months more using BT8x8 cards -- analog broadcasting will
stop Feb. 2009 in the US.  FreeBSD really must support
newer TV-tuners as well as USB-Tuners.

The Video for Linux-2 project (V4L2) seems better at supporting
newer tuners, including digital ATSC/DVB-T standards:
   http://www.exploits.org/v4l
Anyone want to work with me on a 'V4B' project?

Regards,
Fritz_Katz
-- frtzkatz(at)yahoo.com