Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 22:53:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        alfred@sol.racsa.co.cr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XF86_3DLabs?

Alfred wrote,
> Hi all! I am a new user of FreeBSD. I encountered some trouble to install
> FreeBSD. I run the XF86Setup after installing FreeFSD 3.1, after selecting
> the card I am using(Diamond Fire GL Pro 1000, 3DLabs Permedia2), then a
> message at the bottom of the screen appeared, telling me that the
> XF86_3DLabs is not installed, and tell me to install it first. But I am
> totally a new user in the Unix world, I don't really know how to install the
> "server" for 3DLabs, althought I found the file I want in the CD in
> windows98, but I can't find anywhere to install it in the installation
> process, can anyone tell me how to do that. And I have a couple of questions
> more, how to use the CDROM drive, "mount" it? but what's the ID of my
> CDROM,it is the master of my secondary IDE channel, I think I can install
> thevideo server by accessing the CDROM, right?
> Is the file .sh like the dos .bat file?
> If I can setup it, I think I will switch my working platform to FreeBSD
> instead of the easily halt windows, the only thing I worry is the XWindow,
> is it that  easy to use and with a high performance. And because learning
> unix command is hard(at least I think), are there any command list for me to
> read on the internet?
> I am a lot of questions, really thanks for answering.
> Alfred

IIRC, I had the same problem. I do not think the 3D Labs server comes
with the FreeBSD distribution. Don't worry, though. It is not tough to
get.

You need to go to the XFree86 ftp site and grab the sever... Hmmm... I
think this is it (you might want to have a look at the XFree86
documentation, http://www.xfree86.org),

ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/3.3.3.1/binaries/FreeBSD-3.0/Servers/X3DL.tgz

To grab this, and then install it in the right place, you can just log
in as root and,

# cd /usr/X11R6
# ftp ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/3.3.3.1/binaries/FreeBSD-3.0/Servers/X3DL.tgz
# tar zxf X3DL.tgz

Now, you will have a file called 'XF86_3DLabs' in the 'bin'
directory. That is the server.

You should now be able to go back through your X setup process without
getting that error.

Oh, and to mount your CDROM,

# /sbin/mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom

Will mount it at the directory /cdrom (make sure that directoy exists
first).

And .sh files are shell scripts.