Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 15:27:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: net4501 easy install....

This is kinda old, but my area of expertise. :)

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Soren Kristensen wrote:

> Now that I'm starting starting to ship your net4501's, I was wondering
> if somebody could do an easy installation procedure using PXE boot, I
> don't really have enough experience with FreeBSd myself, and are short
> of time anyway, busy doing the hardware :-)
>
> I was thinking something about a procedure where you could install
> different sizes of FreeBSD using any platform as host, even a windoze
> machine:
>
> Step 1) Setup a dhcp and tftp server, using just one directory (so even
> the crapiest free dhcp and tftp server on a windoze machine would do it)

As long as you can pass standard filename options, it should work.

> Step 2) Download and decompress a .zip or .gz file with the PXE loader
> and FreeBSD installer into that directory.
>
> Step 3) Optional, download the .gz distributions, basically just
> tarballs with the files, into the directory.
>
> Step 4) Boot PXE, starting a modified (simplified....) FreeBSD
> installer.
>
> Step 5) Using that installer, create partitions and filesystem on the
> CF, then install the distribution using either tftp, ftp, nfs, or (if
> possible) cifs.

You can do a lot with a shell script .. fdisk -I is your friend. :)  If
you can shoehorn awk & sed into the image you can use the diskprep script
out of the install picobsd image to build your disklabels automatically.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org