Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 21:42:28 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        jriffle@ns.kconline.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wanting to 'make world' to upgrade

>      I was considering upgrading from 2.1.0-Release to 2.1.5-Release via
> the ctm deltas for 2.1.0-Stable, but have a few questions about this.
>
> 1. Would doing a make world clobber my /etc directory?

No, you have to merge in changes to /etc by hand.

> 2. I would like to do this in a running system, I really do not want to
> take the system down to single user mode to do this, does this pose a
> problem?

Strictly speaking you should, but I've never had any problems doing it
in multi-user mode.  I was very cautious about using system programs
while it was installing, though.

> 3. If I were to upgrade in this fashion, what would "uname" report the
> kernal as being after I recompile it?  "2.1.0-Stable" or "2.1.5-Release"

You have to re-compile the kernel separately after 'make world' has
finished.  I'm not sure offhand whether it would show up as
2.1.5-stable or 2.1.5-release, but it won't be "2.1.0-stable".

> 4. Any other concerns anyone can thing about doing it this way?  Would it
> just be better to boot off the floppie and do an "upgrade" install?

It may well be easier and quicker that way.  Even with a top-range
Pentium with lots of RAM, it will probably take 3-4 hours to do a
'make world' (it takes 5-6 hours on my P100).

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk