Date:      Fri, 03 Mar 2006 21:31:31 +0100
From:      Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        Paul Murphy <paul.murphy@cogeco.ca>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Importing csup into base

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-Mar-01 20:03:38 -0500, Paul Murphy wrote:
>> Larry Rosenman wrote:
>
> Optical readers can't handle the output from chad-less punches.
> I was forced to throw mine out when I moved last. :-(
>
>> I remember, back in the day, all the CS kids walking around with huge
>> stacks of PUNCH-CARDS.
>
> We were told (by our lecturers) that we should use punch cards, rather
> than the terminals, so that we wouldn't loose our work when the computer
> crashed.  One of my assignments was roughly a full box of cards but I've
> mislaid them.

I remember that the Cumputing centre even had a puchcard sorter, so that in
case that you dropped a big pack you need not do the sorting by hand. (If you
had taken the effort to number them in the last 8 columns.
No idea if this was typical Burroughs....

Started programming intel 8008 kits by toggeling the bootcode into 512 bytes.
After a while you get to know the opcodes by hart, and even jump distance
would become a way of life.

And I don't count programming a TI58a math calculator as real programming.

--WjW