Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 16:16:54 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>, Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WordPerfect 8 for Linux

[Format autorecovered at freebie.lemis.com]

On Monday, 26 October 1998 at 23:12:16 -0500, Drew Baxter wrote:
> At 02:36 PM 10/27/98 +1030, Kris Kennaway wrote:

>>> Why do that?
>>
>> Because it increases the visibility of FreeBSD among people who might not have
>> heard about it (the Corel developers), and just might influence their thinking
>> towards future product decisions.
>>
>> Assume enough of a response was received that the Corel guys sat up and
>> thought "Wow, theres a market segment we can service", and decide to release a
>> native version of WP8. Are you saying that would be a bad thing?

If they decided that, it would be fine.  I was once in this business
with a much larger company, and we found we couldn't get the big
database people to take us seriously.  They just saw us as more work,
not more income.  They'll definitely do the same with any free UNIX
("what, they have a free OS and we expect them to pay for our product?
No way").

>>> The Linux version should work, and if people get the
>>> impression that the Linux port is just the tip of the iceberg, they
>>> might decide not to do it again.
>>
>> I didnt understand this bit.
>
> I get the tip of the iceberg thing.  Right now Corel is experimenting by
> porting to Linux.  If we bombard them with "Hey port it to...." then that
> would not be very fair to them yet. Especially if the Linux version will
> work under FreeBSD in emulation.
>
> That's what I got out of it, maybe I'm off?

No, that's right.

Greg