Date:      Thu, 1 Dec 2016 15:10:16 -0500
From:      Robert Blayzor <rblayzor.bulk@inoc.net>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   CARP master election changed in 11.0 ?

Did something change between 10.x and 11.0 with carp MASTER election and =
advskew?=20

I have several 10.3 servers where the master is elected based on the =
member with the LOWEST advskew.

=46rom a pair of 10.3 servers:

	vlan: 100 parent interface: lagg0
	carp: MASTER vhid 10 advbase 1 advskew 100

	vlan: 100 parent interface: lagg0
	carp: BACKUP vhid 10 advbase 1 advskew 110

Deploying a new pair of 11.0-RELEASE servers, I see the opposite; seems =
like the member with the HIGHEST advskew wins now:

        carp: BACKUP vhid 20 advbase 1 advskew 0
	groups: lagg

	carp: MASTER vhid 20 advbase 1 advskew 100
	groups: lagg

Preemption doesn=E2=80=99t seem to matter, even with preemption enabled. =
(which it is).

=46rom OpenBSD, man reads:

advskew
This optional parameter specifies how much to skew the advbase when =
sending CARP advertisements. By manipulating advskew, the master CARP =
host can be chosen. The higher the number, the less preferred the host =
will be when choosing a master. The default is 0. Acceptable values are =
from 0 to 254.

And this seems true in 10.3 but reversed in 11.0 ?

--
inoc.net!rblayzor
XMPP: rblayzor.AT.inoc.net