Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 00:52:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Athlon Processors

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Paul A. Howes wrote:

> All-
>
> In the past, I had heard that Linux and FreeBSD didn't work well on
> the Athlon processors.  Have all of the issues since been resolved?
> Now that Tyan has the TigerMP motherboard out for around $200, and
> the 1.2 GHz Athlon MP chips are around $160, building a
> multiprocessor system is looking like a better and better idea.
> However, I wanted to first make sure that there are no problems that
> I should be aware of.

    Only problem is with the XFree86 4.x Radeon QD driver on boards
that have the AMD 761 ("Irongate") chipset as the North Bridge.  X
doesn't work correctly on those boards.

    I'm running 4.4-RC2 on a Gigabyte GA-7DX with a 1.33Ghz T-bird
right now, in fact.  Unfortunately, the above X problem means I can't
run X on it (yet).  No one in the XFree86 project seems to be working
on this problem, so when my time frees up a little bit later this
fall, I'm going to dig into it.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)