Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:31:59 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        jim@luna.osd.bsdi.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I have a question about compiling the kernal

Jim Mock wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 at 12:05:15 -0700, Andrew Marentis wrote:
> > How do I compile a kernel and what does it do ? what is the best way
> > to go about it ?
>
> Start by reading the handbook.. it's all explained there.
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/

The above question and response are a classic textbook case on the
previous discussion on "newbies versus snobbery". I don't want to pick
on Andrew, because the question is indeed genuine. But the FreeBSD
Handbook has all of the answers, and those answers are easy to find. And
this Handbook comes with each and every CD and ISO image of the
operating system. Are some people actually expecting folks to cut and
paste three or four pages out of the Handbook and posting that to the
list, when that very same information is already on the questioneers
computer?

Jim's response is most certainly NOT snobbery. It's much, much better
than saying "RTFM". In my opinion, it shows a remarkable amount of
patience.

David