Date:      Sat, 19 Jul 1997 15:45:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Craig Johnston <craig@gnofn.org>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Non-Intels

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997 dkelly@hiwaay.net wrote:

> I'd like to see AMD succeed. Maybe I'll upgrade this thing in a couple of
> months to a K6 if the problems are solved. In the next couple of weeks I'll
> be needing several systems for work, were downtime costs much more than at
> home. Pentium 133's are looking attractive.

Ack.  Go for a K5.  I build FreeBSD boxes with them exclusively, they
work like champs.  A K5-PR166 is about $100 now.  It will be
noticeably faster than an iP133.

I put 'em on the Asus HX board.  Great price/performance and never
any noted instability, at ~= $250 for the combo.

That's for work systems.. for fun I run a K5-PR166 at home on the ABIT
IT5H jumperless HX board with a bus speed of 83Mhz and a CPU multiplier of
1.5 rather than the 66Mhz/1.75 standard bus speed/multiplier combo.
Even with the 83Mhz bus, the system makes world over and over and stays
up until the power goes out or I want a new kernel.  It's also real
fast -- I'd love to benchmark it vs. an iP200.

-Craig