Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 23:38:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: source code layout?

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> well.. I guess we should put all of sys/net, sys/kern, sys/isofs, etc.
> under sys/i386 as they haven't been compile and ported to another arch...

You missed the implicit qualification that I was speaking of device
drivers.  Actual hardware.

> if the bus/device code was writen properly, these last two wouldn't
> exist... if they did, they would only have a couple of files...

Indeed.  This would be optimal.

> > NetBSD does have its problems but they've taken steps towards resolving
> > some of these issues.
>
> hmm...  guess I need to update my tree and see what they've done
> reciently...

They've done a good bit towards doing some of the things mentioned below,
but I belive after a cursory glace over the spec that jmg's proposal is
superior.

http://d183-205.uoregon.edu/~jmg/FreeBSD/busdevice.html

/*
   Matthew N. Dodd		| A memory retaining a love you had for life
   winter@jurai.net		| As cruel as it seems nothing ever seems to
   http://www.jurai.net/~winter | go right - FLA M 3.1:53
*/