Date:      Fri, 7 Nov 1997 14:27:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alex Nash <nash@Mcs.Net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal)

On Fri, 7 Nov 1997, Julian Elischer wrote:

> On a "genuine Intel" pentium (not pentium pro)
> execution of the following sequence, 0xf0 0x0f 0xc7 0xc8
>
> will stop the processor. This is doable from user mode and in
> 16bitmode, or in fact any mode.
>
> try the following c program.

I (well, gcc) had a few syntactical problems with your program.  Here's a
fixed version:

unsigned char x[] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 };

main ()
{
  void (*f)(void) = (void (*)())x;

  f();
}

> We've checked:
> K5... OK
> P6...  OK
> P5...   *SPLAT*
>
> no idea about the pentium II or other pentium copies.
> K6?
>
> other pentium variants?
> versions?

Also crashes:

CPU: Pentium (166.59-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x52c  Stepping=12
  Features=0x1bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8>

Alex