Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 2008 20:18:59 +1000
From:      Da Rock <rock_on_the_web@comcen.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: uptime 2 years!

        On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 10:03 -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
        > --On Thursday, October 09, 2008 09:34:02 -0500 Jerry
        McAllister
        > <jerrymc@msu.edu> wrote:
        >

        > > On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 07:07:31AM -0700, Chad Marshall
        wrote:

        > >>  Sorry to bother you...You know, you could just leave well
        enough
        > >> alone if you don't care. There goes any future donations
        from me and
        > >> my organization as this is more than the first untactful
        email I
        > >> recieved from this, I'll donate and use other platforms.
        Please don't
        > >> send any other emails
        > >>

        > > Kind of touchy, wouldn't you think?
        > > People are giving you some perspective.
        > > Well, anyway, you have the choice of using a superior system
        > > or let scratchy responses lead you to something less
        suitable.

        > When I was a young boy, I went on vacation with my family to a
        lake in upper
        > Minnesota.  (My mother's ancestral home.)  The weather was
        beautiful, the water
        > was warm and inviting, the swimming was thoroughly enjoyable
        and the cabin we
        > stayed in was luxurious (by the standards of a little boy.)
        >
        > However, my mother said something to me that mad me angry.  To
        "punish" her, I
        > stomped off in a huff and spent the remainder of the vacation
        scowling in the
        > cabin.  I refused to swim until she corrected the perceived
        injustice.
        > Needless to say, my "punishment" caused me a great deal more
        consternation than
        > it did her, or my siblings who were all happily enjoying the
        water and the
        > boating and the entire lovely vacation while I fumed in the
        cabin.

        > Self-inflicted wounds are often the most painful of all.

        You do present a very good point here, but in some ways the OP
        has a
        point. This list is by far the most supportive and helpful lists
        I've
        come across, it would be nice to keep this attribute and not
        slip off
        into the "geeks only" attitude.

        That said, the post probably should have been sent to the chat
        list and
        not here.

        I'm not trying to start an argument, just offer an outside
        perspective.