Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:04:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Steven G. Kargl" <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: memory allocation question

Peter Wemm wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 March 2004 07:25 pm, Steven G. Kargl wrote:
> > I may have finally talked my boss into updating my computational
> > workstation (which runs FreeBSD).  The directions of our computations
> > is leading towards massive memory requirement.  So, the question is:
> > If I have an AMD64 system with 16GB of memory and appropriate kernel
> > options, can a single process allocate >15 GB for its use?
>
> The default malloc limit is 8GB.  I picked that arbitarily because it
> was double 4GB.  It is a tunable that can be changed at boot time.
>
> However.. mmap() is unlimited.  You can use most of the remaining 128TB
> of virtual memory for mmap.  You could also increase the malloc limit
> to nearly 128TB if you wanted to.
>
> The MAXDSIZ value is where malloc is limited.  It defaults to:
> #define  MAXDSIZ  (8192UL*1024*1024)
> It can be changed at kernel compile time with 'options MAXDSIZ' or
> simply overridden at boot time by setting the tunable kern.maxdsiz.

Thanks, Peter.  I knew about MAXDSIZ, but I didn't know if there
was some hard limit.  I can live with 128TB of virtual memory.
I thinking we can start with 16 GB of physical memory in a single
node and add nodes to cluster as our memory requirements increase.

--
Steve
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/