Date:      Sun, 26 Apr 1998 09:59:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, "Justin T.Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Subject:   Re: A CAM of worms

On 23-Apr-98 Tom wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Nate Williams wrote:
>
>> > There is certainly a migration path.  Run a CAM kernel or don't.  Most
>> > developers I know have plenty of space to store two sys trees.  As I
>> > have stated to Julian several times, I will not polute the CAM code
>> > with #ifdefs, or gratuitously rename controller driver file names or
>> > "config names" just so you can build a kernel both ways.
>>
>> IMHO, with that attitude you can take the CAM stuff and go play
>> somewhere else.  Part of being a 'team effort' means making compromises
>> so that everyone can work together.
>
>   I don't understand what in Justin's "attitude" you've found offensive.
>
>   The current SCSI layer has bugs.  CAM fixes most of those and adds new
> drviers.  CAM is the future.  It is time that we got past this.  Hell,
> even wcarchive uses CAM now (back-ported to 2.2) as it is just more
> stable code.

I think Nate's response migh have been a bit too strong. I interpreted the
original posting as ``on the 28th of April, we stop supporting the current
architecture and start supporting only CAM''.  This interpretation appears
wrong, but if it is a correct interppretation, it warrants a worry.  With
the state of CAM, as of today, FreeBSD functionality will be reduced
severely - until all the missing pieces catch up; recoded, debugged, stress
tested, stabilized, etc.  That represents many weeks of hard work.  I am
not speaking for Nat, but he may share this concern with me.

It appears that this is NOT Justin's intent.  Now we will try to figure out
a schedule for this thing.

Simon