Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 00:59:36 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Victor M <vit@gus.orgus.ru>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network performance

* Victor M <vit@gus.orgus.ru> [000828 21:51] wrote:
> I installed FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE and noticed that the network performance
> significantly slowed down.
> When I worked on 2.8-RELEASE the speed of file transfering (ftp protocol)
> through the 10Mb LAN was 600-700 Kb/s, but now it is not more then
> 150Kb/s. Load on the LAN is the same as it was before.
> Similar problem I encountered working with ppp-connection, modem line.
>
> Is there any work arounds with it?

First off, one should be using 4.1 or 4-stable, second this bug report
is completely lacking of any useful information.

Tell us what hardware, and also make sure your ethernet card's
duplex/speed setting is correct, if you're on a hub and see
"full-duplex" then you may have to force the card to half-duplex.

-Alfred