Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 1996 14:43:48 -0500
From:      Scott Morris <smorris@tsi.gte.com>
To:        Lance <lancez@accessld.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:

lance,

        Put it in /etc/sysconfig under the netconfig section, mine looks like:

        ifconfig_ed1="inet 205.174.179.74 netmask 255.255.255.192"

        I'm on 2-1.5R. Hope this helps.

At 11:33 AM 12/20/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi, there:
>
>My freebsd PC is connected to our intranet. When I root the system and login
>as root,
>I execute the command 'ifconfig ed1' to check its IP address and didn't find
>it. So
>I execute something like 'ifconfig ed1 179.208.33.1' to assign it an IP
>address. Now
>I am able to ping other machines from this PC and I can ping it from other
>machines
>too. However, when I shut it down and reboot the machine, its IP address is
>lost.
>
>What I am wondering is that how could I avoiding this manually IP address
>assignment
>everytime when I root the system? Could I put it into some configuration file?
>

>Appreciate your help!
>

>Lance
>
>lancez@accessld.com

Scott Morris
GTE Telecommunication Services
smorris@tsi.gte.com
813-273-3917
*** My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my employer. ***