Date:      Fri, 16 May 2014 12:35:31 -0400
From:      Daniel Staal <DStaal@usa.net>
To:        David.I.Noel@gmail.com, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Swap on ZFS
References:  <CAHAXwYA9NBsYTpUGCZ_5f%2B_qDuvS%2BbN9vE4GAZhpRhWVWCwi7g@mail.gmail.com> <53697D8B.2060906@gmail.com> <C1DCD8EEE8523B91197B6D82@192.168.1.50> <5369B4A1.40506@gmail.com> <5369B8A3.7020403@my.hennepintech.edu> <5369C376.7000307@gmail.com> <5369C434.1090409@my.hennepintech.edu> <CALfReyffOD0H9Xu2Exkk56SLA8hWnQNeYWsiRiQ5D2zvu=ar1g@mail.gmail.com> <CAHAXwYBoAda0cA6EdAQNjzUS2RHxAUdWm9qKJ-GbWgDF9c79xQ@mail.gmail.com>

--As of May 12, 2014 7:01:17 AM -0500, David Noel is alleged to have said:

> However, I don't see any way around the rumored issue of the system
> hanging every time all my RAM is in use and I need to hit swap. Is
> this still the default behavior? The wiki says yes. I suppose I could
> test it myself fairly easily. But what would the solution be? If I
> test it and it hangs I'd like to be able to suggest a solution in the
> PR. Would adding a tunable that allowed me to reserve x MB for ZFS be
> the solution? Out of curiousity, what would that value need to be set
> to? How much memory does ZFS need available to write to disk?

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Having hit it a couple of times, I'd say it's a bit more complicated than
that description, but yeah, that's still the behavior from my experience.
Failure can be more complicated than 'hang' though, and triggering it can
be a bit hit-or-miss.

A tunable like that sounds like a good solution.  I'm not sure what the
value would need to be set at though.  I'm not even sure if it's a constant
or dependent on blocksize and other factors.  I'm pretty sure the memory
needed per block is a defined amount someplace, but ZFS likes to group IO
where possible, so a 'safe' amount might vary by the amount of writes it
can have queued at any particular moment.  (Which is a tunable.)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.