Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 18:48:48 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Leif Neland <leifn@image.dk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec AHA-2842A troubles

David Kelly scribbled this message on Dec 23:
> Leif Neland writes:
>
> Is there a BIOS issue with the Adaptec 2842? I have one of the early
> ones, one the prior owner said was run at 50 MHz VL bus speed. Am
> pretty sure I'm not trying to run it over 33 MHz. Prior owner said,
> "I never could boot the 2842 either." Ain't PC's just dandy?

I don't know.. I have a Intel 486dx2/66 with a ahc2842 and I don't
have any problems...  no ide in the machine... just the ahc2842, an awe,
ne2000 compat, and a cirrus logic vlb video card...
ahc0: <Adaptec 284X SCSI host adapter> at 0x1c00-0x1cff irq 12 on eisa0 slot 1
ahc0: aic7770 >= Rev E, Single Channel, SCSI Id=7, 4/255 SCBs

> If FreeBSD discovers the card during probe, has it passed the the bus
> master test? I can't hook anything to the 2842 until I get new/more
> cables or snag an external HD or tape from another system:

I'm not sure... probably though, assuming that you've got responses
from a device on the bus...

> If I can make the 2842 work in this system (my only VL bus slot) then
> the 2940 can go to work in another box.

have you tried to pull the 2940 out of the machine, and just kept the
2842 in it??

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD