Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 21:59:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        HighWind Software Information <info@highwind.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendfile()

:Heard some talk of sendfile() in 3.0
:
:Where is that interface? man page? Header file?
:
:Is it in a very new kernel or just a rumor?
:
:-Rob
:
:with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message

    Yes, it's been in -current for about a month and a half.  Works great!
    You'll have to download a recent -current and make world.

    Essentially:

     int sendfile(int fd, int s, off_t offset, size_t nbytes,
		   struct sf_hdtr *hdtr, off_t *sbytes, int flags)

    Where sf_hdtr allows headers and trailers to be merged into the
    stream.

    If you are thinking of using sendfile with HighWind's news software
    and you already store the articles in wire format, it should work great!
    I don't use it in Diablo because I store articles in their binary
    format :-(.

    Linux has a similar system call, but I think not quite as sophisticated
    as DG's FreeBSD implementation.

					-Matt

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)