Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2001 12:15:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      <uid0@catastrophe.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ssh still wont start

On or about Oct 6, 2001 at 19:02 [+0200] Hartmann, O. proclaimed:

; On our SMP systems, sshd is not willing to start! After each reboot
; I have to walk to the machine's room, log into console as root and start
; ssh manually. The log error is always the same: sshd can not create
; a RSA host key and stops working. After a reboot sshd starts fine.
;

Not to avoid the question, but it bothers me that the startup scripts
will automatically generate a new key. I understand the reasons why,
but I'd imagine the best way to do so is to regenerate the key on
boot and send an alert that the old key was missing.

After all, if I don't recognize a particular fingerprint when SSH'ing
in, I would never connect. And if an SSH_Host_Key disappeared, to me
it would seem that something "fishy" was going on.