Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 23:49:56 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        franky@pinewood.nl (Frank ten Wolde)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP4020 Writable CD-ROM failures - help requested

As Frank ten Wolde wrote:

> > That must be either one of the recent ahc driver problems (Justin is
> > aware of it, and we're waiting for his final actions -- that's the
> > main reason 2.2 didn't go out yet).  Or, are you pretty sure that your
> >
> I'm using the 2.2-960612-SNAPSHOT release of FreeBSD.  Is this considered
> 'recent'?

Dunno.  My machine at work runs fine with 2 AHA2940's, with a system
of ~ november 1995.  And yes, it also burns CD-Rs, but with the
Plasmon drive.

> > drive isn't overheating?  I've got a few reports by now that indicate
> > that the HP parts are fairly sensitive against this.  (The usual PC
> > power-supply fan is certainly insufficient.)
> >
> Maybe, but it happens every time again (I tried twice :-) and each time
> just before the end of data, possibly just before the 'fixate' command.

Just a sidenote: are you sure the drive is ok?  I've heard similar
experience from other people.  It seems that those drives are of, oh
well, ``varying quality''.

> (First time I wrote appr 300 MB, second time appr 610 MB. Both times
> dd reported that *all* bytes had been transferred to the CDR.)
> Could it be that you have to pause for a few seconds and let the CDR
> flush its buffers before issuing the 'fixate' command?

No, that's what the ``synchronize cache'' command is for.  (It also
signals the end of the data stream, so the drive knows that no more
data are to be expected for this track.)

Of course, you are free to manually fixate.  Also, you can burn a
multitrack CD-R if you're suspecting this -- the fixation is just the
final step.  You can slice in more ``wormcontrol prep track'' commands
before fixating.  (The superfluous tracks shouldn't do any harm.)

--
cheers, J"org