Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2001 10:08:06 -0500
From:      Mark Stosberg <mark@summersault.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   KDE 2.1.1 on RELEASE 4.3 not finding libssl.so.2

Good morning folks!

  I recently installed the KDE 2.1.1 package off of the FreeBSD 4.3
RELEASE ISO CD onto my FreeBSD 4.2 machine. Thanks to everyone for
pulling that together. The new KDE is very nice to use. I've run into a
hitch, though. Whenver I start up anything that uses the KHTML part, I
get a complaint about not finding "libssl.so.2".

I tried a few things to work around this:

> cd /usr/src/secure/lib/libssl; make clean; make; make install;
> cd /usr/src/crypto/openssl; make clean; make; make install

I also downloaded and installed OpenSSL 0.9.6a, which I understand is
what is bundled with FreeBSD 4.3. That installed cleanly with the
default settings, but still I get this error.

This output maybe useful:

>ldconfig -r | grep ssl
        53:-lssl.1 => /usr/lib/libssl.so.1
        258:-lkssl.2 => /usr/local/lib/libkssl.so.2

> ls /usr/lib/libssl*
/usr/lib/libssl.a       /usr/lib/libssl.so.1
/usr/lib/libssl.so      /usr/lib/libssl_p.a

It appears that libssl.so.2 is in fact missing. Any ideas how I get past
this?

Thanks,

   -mark

http://mark.stosberg.com/