Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 18:15:34 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        michaelh@cet.co.jp (Michael Hancock)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au, terry@lambert.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: login.conf - radius client (was Re: getty patches)

Michael Hancock stands accused of saying:

> > I am _particularly_ interested in this, as I have a couple of (paying)
> > ISP customers who very much want to integrate user logins to BSD
> > machines with their radius authentication environment.
>
> This would be very interesting indeed.  Centralized authentication to a
> radiusd box for everything; an ASCEND box, a FreeBSD PPP server, a
> FreeBSD client PC, etc.

Yup.  Basically NIS without NIS.  There are a pile of other benefits in
that you can (theoretically) backend stuff off the Radius server to
manage your accounting, etc.

One _big_ lose is that whilst the Radius-1 daemon was free, Livingston's
license on the Radius-2 server is "only with Livingson hardware".  One
of my contacts said that a Liv. sales rep claimed that he could
have the CD "for about US$1500 or so".

Does this piss you off just a little?  The whole "ride the free
software thing and then gouge all the committed users" scenario is
becoming _very_ annoying.