Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 1996 13:49:37 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Zip vs. EZ135

Hi all,

I'm considering buying some kind of removable-media drive for my FreeBSD
box, for backups and for archiving infrequently used files.  Probably
either the Iomega Zip or Syquest EZ-135.  I've looked through the mail
archives but I'm still not sure exactly what the situation is with these
drives and FreeBSD.  So here are all my questions in one place -- sorry if
any of these are FAQs.

- I assume both of these drives will work (reasonably) happily under
  FreeBSD (currently 2.0.5, soon to be 2.1)?  If either of them won't,
  please let me know before I do something stupid  :)

- I guess they would work like a floppy or CDROM drive, so you can
  mount/unmount and change disks without any problems?

- The disks can be formatted as UFS?  In past experience with Syquests the
  cartridges had to be formatted using a special program that I guess would
  run under DOS (and leave you with a FAT format disk).

- Backups (using dump/restore) will work?  Over multiple volumes?

- I don't currently have a SCSI adapter, and it's hard to justify spending
  ~200 pounds for a decent VLB adapter, on my student budget, for a device
  that won't be in constant use.  I know it's probably a sad and tragic
  device, but will the so-called ZipZoom adapter (bundled with the drive
  for almost no money) do the job under FreeBSD? I read somewhere that it's
  just a re-labelled low-end Adaptec so I guess it would work fine.

- There is an IDE version of the EZ-135.  I don't really want to go any
  further down the IDE road, but is here any chance that it might work?

That's all, I think.  Sorry about the volume of questions, but I want to
make sure I'm getting the right thing.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

	Scott

 Scott Mitchell, CompSci Dept, Queen Mary & Westfield College, London, UK
      mailto:scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk   http://www.dcs.qmw.ac.uk/~scott/
            finger scott@ruby.dcs.qmw.ac.uk for PGP public key