Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 08:44:53 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        ChrisMic@clientlogic.com, gjb@comkey.com.au, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Debug kernel by default (was: System size with -g)

On Tuesday,  6 April 1999 at 16:11:24 -0700, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Greg Lehey writes:
>> A number of other people have observed that the current boot loader
>> doesn't load the symbols anyway, so you could install /kernel.debug
>> only and still run normally.  I consider this a deficiency in the boot
>> loader, since it should be possible to load the symbols.  Of course,
>
> What advantage would that give? Ie, how would you use all the
> debugging gunk better if it was loaded into memory instead of on
> the disk? DDB doesn't understand it does it?

I believe ddb *does* understand it.  That would be the only
advantage.  I don't use ddb, since it's too restrictive (no access to
sources), so it wouldn't make any difference for me.

> In any case, I like the idea of having ONE kernel and having the
> loader not load the debugging gunk into memory.

Yes, I think that's the superior solution as well.  It would mean that
you would have to make root file systems 20 MB larger by default.

There are other options here.  Since it's a separate issue, I'll send
out a separate message: how about having a boot partition with just
the kernels and enough information to locate the root file system?

Greg