Date:      Sat, 23 May 2020 11:52:41 -0700
From:      David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: updating a FreeBSD workstation

On 2020-05-23 01:02, Polytropon wrote:
> ... if you want a "just works", use Linux.

+1

I have been using Debian for desktops for many years (currently Debian 9
amd64 xfce).  I try very hard to keep my installs as close to OOTB as
possible.  Xfce has more features and is better integrated on Debian.
Almost all of the software I need is available as binary packages.  By
choosing hardware with Intel graphics, I avoid problems with proprietary
graphics drivers.  Debian, plus Ubuntu and other derivatives, have a
large enough install base that some software projects/ vendors release
binary packages and/or operate package servers (Google, Mozilla,
Oracle).  Minor version updates/ upgrades are easy, and rarely fail.  (I
backup/ wipe/ install/ restore for major version upgrades.)

That said, there are non-trivial differences between FreeBSD and the
various GNU/ Linux distributions.  It is not uncommon that you have to
learn two ways to accomplish the same goal -- one for each platform.
For interactive terminal use and for shell scripts, I install GNU tools
on FreeBSD.  The FreeBSD feature I miss the most on Debian is ZFS.
While I can install ZFS on Debian and use it successfully for data
disks, using ZFS for a Debian system disk has too many costs and risks.

David