Date:      Thu, 6 May 2010 21:12:32 +0000
From:      Jean-Paul Natola <jnatola@familycareintl.org>
Subject:   RE: Accessing file from windows or to windows

On 5/6/2010 3:47 PM, Jean-Paul Natola wrote:
>=20
> Hi all,
>=20
> I have a file I need in my bsd box, would it be easier, or is it possible=
, to mount an NTFS share , or should I try to "map" a directory from the wi=
ndows box.
>=20
>=20
> TIA,
>=20
> I have=20
>=20
> Xp
> Win7
> Win2003=20
> Win2008=20
> Freebsd 6.4
>=20
> thanx  =20

Same machine or two separate machines?

Two separate machines is trivial - share=20
a directory on the Win machine and use smbfs
on FBSD to get to it.

For same machine, boot FBSD, and do a mount
with -t ntfs as an arg .... well, I don't recall
if 6.4 supported this or not, now that I think about it.

One-time or frequent transfer?

There are tons of other options, especially if you're running
separate machines.  Not all of these are elegant, but they
all will work and have their place for infrequent transfers:

- Email the file to yourself from one OS and retrieve it
  from the other.

- Copy the file to a thumbdrive

- Copy the file to a private website which can then
  be subsequently retrieved by another machine/OS
  image.

Well my book  (absolute BSD) yes its old, says:
"writing to an NTFS partition may corrupt the partition" - I'm guessing thi=
s is not the case anymore
and to answer your question;=20

1. Its 2 separate machines=20
2. As a security standard I have disabled flash drives in the office=20
3. It will be a monthly taks
4. No web access on the bsd box