Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:02:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        pzhang@hsph.harvard.edu
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: about gcc

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Zhang, Peng wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am running freebsd-stable. Now I have two version
> gcc installed. One is gcc295 as /usr/bin/gcc, and the
> other is gcc32 as /usr/local/bin/gcc32. I just wonder
> know whether I can choose any of them as default one
> which can be detected by configure script, because
> different softwares require different versions of gcc.
> Thanks!

Well I wouldn't try to build -stable with 3.2, but if you need to override
it on a per-package basis and it uses autoconf, this sort of thing works:

CC=gcc32 ./configure ....

You can also change the CC variable in makefiles.  If its written extra
correctly then you can do

make CC=gcc32 target..

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org